90 Day Metamorphosis with Tracy Anderson



Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Day 28: Shin Splints vs Getting Stronger vs Diet

Man these shin splints don't want to let up. I am going to get some leg warmers and see if that helps. I also broke my promise of doing just the trampoline every other day...I tried to do the dance cardio and just couldn't do it. Technically, shin splints are not the type of pain you are supposed to just work through. In fact, you are supposed to avoid high impact exercise to help them heal. It's so weird that my challenge in this case is actually not a mental one but instead a physical one. So, leg warmers...and alternating jumping on the trampoline. I do also think if I were doing green juices and smoothies it would help my pains in general. When I drank only green smothies for a week, all pain and stiffness in my joints were completely gone. It was crazzzy. I'd just gotten so used to feeling stiff and in discomfort I didn't realize that my body doesn't have to feel that way.

I do feel I'm doing marginally better on the mat work. I really do. I thought I would try out some of level one today just to see if I could do a full hour of toning a day. haha. well, I'm not quite ready to do an hour of toning a day, but I can tell you that I'm definitely stronger! It's particularly funny how slow and simple the movements seem compared to what I'm doing now and I'm only on week 3 (almost week 4).

I didn't feel impatient today in regards to weight loss because, well, the truth is diet has more to do with weight loss than exercise. However, I am concerned when it comes to dieting with finding a mental balance. Also, I know personally diet has a big impact on my skin, and my energy levels. One week I was eating super healthy, and my skin was glowing!! My facial structure appareared lifted and more symmetrical. I looked so healthy. Then I got off track with it. At least I know what's possible with good clean nutrition. It truly is for me about finding a balance with healthy eating habits, and healthy mentality about my eating.

Sometimes I just get these impulses where I want to jump into all raw foods, jump into super clean eating...I know this DOES NOT WORK FOR ME. I can only keep that up minimally, and my objectives are nor short term. Again, balance in key.

I would classify my current diet as anything vegan goes (including lots of processed foods). However, for the most part I do eat all natural food, I have increased my fiber, beans, veggies and whole grains. I don't eat very many sweets, and I have soda maybe twice a year. So I certainly have made some improvements over the years that have served me, and I'm happy with.

Rather than going to extremes in dieting, feeling deprived, creating guilt and binge cycles, I want to add in good stuff, and substitute the less good stuff. This is doable if done slowly and if I'm enjoying everything I'm eating. So I have a few transitionary ideas for upcoming diet improvements. Thus far I simply record what I eat every day without any judgement whatsoever. That is a good first step toward healthy eating, and healthy food mentality. I also have a healthy Vega brand protein shake (whole food health optimizer as it's called) before I work out.

My future simple steps toward balanced nutrition:

1) Swap refined grains for whole grains (easy, brown rice for white rice, kamut pasta for white, whole grain breads and tortillas instead of just multigrain)
2) Add a daily green juice (cucumber, celery, lemon, apple)
3) Add a daily green smoothie (fruit + spinach, kale)

My largest sources of unhealthy calories are chips/fries, (When I buy them I go through an entire bag in two days which is about 1000 calories of 0 nutrition). Actually, I'm going to go check and see how many bags of chips I've gone through recently...Well, in the last month I've eaten chips 19 days out of 30...wowza. I had no idea it was that much. I estimated I ate one bag every two weeks. I really don't have a sweet tooth, but I'm sure got a salty tooth...no wonder I'm not losing weight! Haha. At least I have an explanation. I'm surprised I haven't gained weight. Golly, I knew I ate chips but honestly I didn't realize it was that often. Unless I can find some oil free chips, I'd really like to experiment with taking those out of my diet almost entirely. Maybe I'll try kale chips and see if those might be a good alternative. Depending on my mood, I enjoy baby carrots dipped in hummus as much as regular chips.

Additionally, I could easily swap my white grains for whole grains. I enjoy whole grains, so it's really just about buying the whole grains rather than using the white grains my parents have in the fridge. And then it's about building the habit of buying fresh produce and making it. That is easily done with a little practice.

As I've learned from doing TAM metamorphosis, building new habits is about giving myself permission to not be perfect. Then, it's about taking it one day at a time, one step at a time, and having faith that in time a positive affect will manifest from my consistent actions. Oh yeah, let's not forget that it is about consistently climbing the wall, and remembering that the wall is always on my side if I'm willing to accept its kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment