So, I must say I was very excited to have lost 6 pounds in one month through exercise alone. I have only weighed myself twice this last month (except when I went to the store to pick out a scale and weighed myself on every scale they had only to discover I could weigh anywhere between 167-172 depending on which scale I was standing on). Anyway, I started to get excited and calculate if I continue to lose 6 pounds per month I'll lose all fifty extra pounds in about 8 months which felt good. But then I thought about how in two months I would only lose 12 pounds, and that doesn't even equate to a loss of one pant size for me. That got me feeling a little bummed out. And I fell back into my old tape in my head that I will always be overweight.
This is all I've ever known. My brain just can't wrap itself around a concept as foreign as not being overweight. I felt myself getting distracted from the actual goal I set out for myself which is to do the program in its entirety. whew...it feels overwhelming being so attached to an outcome. It's a very different feeling from just wanting to commit to the program and having faith that it will work out. Today, I feel a little lost and without an answer. I don't like obsessing about weight. I think there is a blurry line between all the complex issues surrounding eating, tying that to the difficulties of deveoping a new healthy habit in exercise-making it a part of my lifestyle, coupled with how I feel about myself in relation to my weight. Too many different issues muttled together.
I'm a little stressed because I wasn't using a sports bra and so I've broken my only two bras. I went out and bought two more, but come my workout on Monday, I will need to buy a new sportsbra so I feel unprepared and out of the rhythm I'd developed in doing my workouts first thing in the morning. Also, Monday is the first time I will have work in the morning (instead of evening or afternoon) since I started this program a month ago, so I am again being thrown out of my routine.
Finally, I want to try and get a new pair of shoes that will provide extra support for my knees. I currently have a pair of Nike Shox which are better than any regular sneakers I've had in the past but I feel there are shoes out there that will make my workouts that much more fluid. So...my routine for Monday feels compromised and the truth is I don't adjust well to change. I don't like being bored with repetitiveness (so glad the workouts change every ten days) but at the same time there is security in predictability. I would describe it as variation within the same routine. Well, my routine is being compromised and I'm not entirely worried that I'll get off track, I'm just stressed because anything beyond level one, and now level two is completely uncharted territory for me. I don't want to fall back into old habits.
It's crazy how shifting my focus from workouts to my weight has added confusion into the mix too. I feel like I just need to take a deep breath, and do one step at time...go to the mall after work, buy new shoes, buy a sports bra, setup my workout space, do one workout at a time, one step at a time...sigh...I'm also really drained of energy right now...when I'm drained of energy I get really anxious and fear of failure kicks in big time. I don't like focusing on the weight. I like focusing on the work. The work feels doable and in my control. The weight is not as much in my control. It's up to my body how much it loses. It's up to me whether I choose to exercise or not.
No comments:
Post a Comment