Whooops, over the course of level 4 I managed to gain a pound. Hmmm....I was nervous before I got on the scale. I thought maybe I had gained some, but I also thought maybe I had lost some and imagined breaking through the 160's into the 150's. I reminded myself that the scale is on my side, and cheering me on for me efforts, the scale wants to support me and wants to see me succeed. This helped calm my nerves a bit. And after all that, I am up to 162.5 which is a 1 pound gain from my previouse weigh in a little over 2 weeks ago.
Well, of course I was slightly disappointed, but I was by no means devastated. I vascillated between feelings of wanting to push my workouts even harder "just to show them, and stick it to the man" (who am I trying to prove myself to?), and thinking "maybe I'll throw in the towel cuz this isn't working after all". Fortunately my brain settled on somewhere in between recognizing the truth of the situation.
The truth is, I haven't made any dietary changes. The truth is, I have been pushing myself and been faithful in my workouts. The truth is I can feel muscle formation and well as the ability to contract muscles in places I didn't even realize muslces existed. The truth is exercising is healthy for me on many levels. The truth is losing weight takes time. The truth is my cardio endurance has improved. The truth is I like being a person who takes care of their body through fitness; I like being a person who works out. The biggest truth that brings me comfort is seeing weight loss as a line graph, starting at the top and moving down diagonally to a lower point at the end, looking like this ( \ ). However, if we were to zoom in closer, we would see there are fluctuations along the way, peaks and valleys if you will...yet the end result is the same, the average is the same.
I know the direction I'm going in, I know that I will continue to get stronger, continue to build up endurance, continue to keep moving forward. Even if I don't lose another pound (which I fully believe I will) I know what I'm doing has benefits beyond weight. A fluctuation is just that, a fluctuation. Last time I may have fluctuated on the lower end of my "average weight range" and this time I fluctuated on the higher end. It's okay, it really is okay. Don't get me wrong, I'm not gonna lie and say I'm happy I gained weight, or I'm unaffected that all my hard work would amount to 6.5 pounds in 8 weeks. No...I'm not Pollyanna.
I don't know, I mean I knew my clothes were still tight, and I didn't think I had lost weight, but to see it in black and white is something else. Hmm....hmmmm....it does feel like this might not ever happen afterall...I dont' have experience to assure me that it will work out at this point. Before, my faith was encouraged because of the results I saw from others, and the results I saw from myself, but what faith do I use to keep me motivated at this point? I guess the answer lies in not using exercise as a weight loss tool, but as a tool for gaining energy, strength, stamina, muscle and health. Same goes for healthy eating...no focus on weight, just the health benefits. Also, it feels good to be a person who exercises, and takes care of their body. It is a feeling of accomplishment in and of itself. Of course weight will probably still be in the back of my mind, in those moments where I'm pushing past the burn, but that's okay. As I separated my diet goals from my exercise goals, I'm going to do my best to take out the weight loss goal, and make it more about health, and fitness.
You know, even for someone like myself who has made improvements in my relationship with the scale, it has become clear to me over the course of my last few weigh-ins that weighing myself takes me away from my target objective which is to complete the program in its entirety. It throws my mind into loop-te-loops. It fosters unhealthy thoughts both during the times I've lost weight and gained weight. So, I'm going to make an oath here in bold black and white...
I PROMISE MYSELF TODAY THAT I WILL ONLY WEIGH MYSELF WHEN I GO DOWN A PANT SIZE.
The good thing about that is, I will know for sure at that point that I've lost weight. Once jeans don't stay on me, I will then go out to buy a new pair and weigh myself. I will repeat this process until I get to my goal of having a lean, fit body without excess weight, and then I don't see the need to weigh myself anymore after that. Since I don't have a scale, I very rarely weighed myself before starting the method anyway. Honestly, I just want to have statistics for my weight loss journey. I want to know what my weight is at the various pant sizes, but in my opinion, and for my personal benefit that is the only time I want to weigh in. Alright, enough with the weight, let's get back to fitness!
No comments:
Post a Comment